DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cpu change in laptop

noodles is offline Beginner

Question cpu change in laptop

Hi to all, i have been given a Compaq presario CQ70 laptop, 4GB ram,260hdd,and Intel celeron dual core T1600@166GHz, my question, how easy is it to change these processors,because they are crap ( i want test some games out ). I know the old story about playing top end games on a lappy this is why i would like to try this experiment out.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

I have done this myself and found it very easy.

All you need is the information of what your motherboard can handle in the way of processors. Your best bet would be to contact compaq and tell them the serial number of you Laptop for specs. Then all you need to do is find the best processor for you budget that is compatible.

JR

hi,cheers for that info,but what about a software prog that i can run, or just to be on the safe side go with recommendation.

Your motherboard will only accept a cpu that is compatible so its best to go with the recommendation.

If you want more power after that you could over-clock if required but be sure you have ample cooling for this. A good laptop cooling pad is a good place to start .

hi, just out of interest would it be worth trying to over-clock on what is in there now, if so what would be in your eyes the easiest and best way to do this,cheers. Just to confirm that i do have a cooling pad.
    Last edited by noodles; 17th May 2009 at 22:54. Reason: edit

OK IMO I would go into the BIOS and try to see if you can over clock it that way. I always use the rule of 5% a day this way you can see if your system is stable under a average workload and also keep an eye on the temperature as well. I personally use these settings but I heard nTune is good software as it test your system for 3 hours while slowly over-clocking your system. To get nTune goto link:: NVIDIA nTune

Additional: It might be worth typing "Intel Celeron dual core T1600 over-clocking" without quotations into Google to see if anyone has successfully over-clocked it before.
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 18th May 2009 at 00:02.

Cool

cheers for the update, will get back and let u know results,thanks

NTUNE. Googled it, did not ,goto site,just read all comments why not to install it, overclocking here i come
    Last edited by noodles; 18th May 2009 at 02:47. Reason: because

hi,well the story continues, there is some fact and fiction on overclocking said CPU,s,but nothing concrete,but i have found out that the motherboard socket type for that processor is micro-FCPGA.So now its just a question of doing some phoning up.
    Last edited by noodles; 18th May 2009 at 14:30. Reason: wrong info

I have found two for that socket type one is an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 / 2 GHz ( 667 MHz ) 478-pin Micro FCPGA - L2 4 MB.

On the crazy side however the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9100 / 2.26 GHz ( 1066 MHz ) - Socket P 478-pin Micro FCPGA - L2 12 MB - OEM is probably the best one available at the moment for your motherboard

You may want to shop around for the best price.

JR
    Last edited by johnny.rotton; 18th May 2009 at 16:20.

hi, cheers for the info, that's a definite plus, things seem to to be looking on the up, plus i just got some news in that this lappy could be upgraded with 8GB of ram as well.

thanks will keep informed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast