DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Vista Tweaks for Faster Internet Connection

Chrys is offline New Member

Default Vista Tweaks for Faster Internet Connection

Recently I purchased a Dell XPS 1530 laptop which I have dedicated to my TV for live TV primarily non-U.S. programs like the BBC. It's very fast except when it comes to being connected to the internet. I have 2 other window pc's (W2K and XP). I have Comcast 15 Mb/s (upload) powerboost. The W2K and XP machines consistently achieve this with the help of TCPOptimizer. Testmy.net has an optimizer for Vista but I can't achieve 15 Mb/s. I can only get 10 to 11 Mb/s on Vista. Has anyone found any tweaks to improve Vista performance. I just loaded SP2 and it hasn't changed the connection speed in any noticeable way. Thanks

seti is offline Member

Try Ultimate Windows Tweaker, that will help you

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

yeah, UWT have good network optimizer tweaks......use them to tune up your network performance on Windows Vista...

Chrys is offline New Member

Thanks I'll try it. Interestingly over the weekend I decided to see if Microsoft's One Live service would be of any benefit but before I could use MS's service I had to uninstall McAfee antivirus program. Since I wasn't that happy with it and was thinking about switching to Avast I gave it a shot and uninstalled it. One Live is doing nothing more than what I am doing: defrag, check for virus, disk cleanup, etc. I decided after using One Live that I had enough and uninstalled it. I noticed that Defender was turned on so I turned it off. I left MS Firewall on just to be safe. Anyway the long and short of it is that when I tested the internet connection speed (testmy.net) without much protection I achieved the same performance level as my other pc's (XP and W2K). I had read about McAfee taking a strangle hold on performance and tested that hypothesis by disabling it early on and not getting much benefit from that. It took an actual uninstallation to the get the speed I was seeking. Obviously I need some protection and will try Avast to see if it throttles the speed. I will also try UWT which I am surprised I hadn't heard about before. Thanks again.

seti is offline Member

You could also try switching to KIS, because I have no problems with speed with it