DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Can I move system files without consequences?

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Can I move system files without consequences?

I recently started using an old hard drive I had laying around. I don't remember where I got it, but this 15Gb drive has 2 partitions. The large partition ( E: ) contains the windows folder and other program files while the smaller 8Mb directory ( C: ) contains boot.ini and a few other windows system files.

My question is can I move the file from one of the partitions to the other so that I can have just one partition for this drive without harming windows? If so which one?

My best guess is that C: is the original drive and I can move everything back to it and delete E: but I'm not sure?

Thanks for your input!

Just in case I've retrieved the product key from the registry should i need to reinstall XP pro.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Here are the contents of each:

C:\

E:\

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Your Windows installation is on one drive and your Program Files folder, on another. You cannot simply move the files from one drive to another. Wont work.

But I do remember that System Mechanic has a Program Re-locator module and then there is also Application Mover, which move all folders and change registry settings too. I have used System Mechanic personally more than once with success, to move the Program Files from one drive to another. Both are shareware, but you could check out the trial version.

skidmark is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanks AndyK!!

I'll look into this software. I suspected simply moving the files wouldn't work because the links/paths for them would become broken.

Much appreciated