DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Need help: Port 8095 slow down

Big_Bubba is offline New Member

Unhappy Need help: Port 8095 slow down

Hi guys,

Newbie alert i'm afraid.

I've been having probs with my internet speeds for well over a month now. However, I seem to have drilled it down to not being anything to do with my ISP or telephone line.

The basics: i'm on Virgin ADSL with a max of 2mb connection. For well over 2 years now I have had a solid 1.8 download speed (checked thanks to the speedtest at thinkbroadband.com) on their Port 8095 test. Never had any problems.

Then, whilst playing Call of Duty 4 on a German server (i'm in UK), on which I always got around a 40 - 60 ping, I started getting 150 to 250 ping. No slowdown on websites though. So ran the speedtest and now I get 0.1mb download all times day/night. But if I run with the Port 80 option ticked, then i'm back to my old speeds again.

Checked with Virgin and i'm not being speed throttled, took my PC to a friends house who has an 8mb connection via a network (so not on my USB modem), and got exactly the same results - 0.1mb download.

I have even reformatted and reinstalled Vista 32, ran the speedtest without my AVG firewall turned on but still to no avail!!!

I cannot think of anything I have downloaded that has made a change outside of the usual Vista updates.

Sorry for the long post, but please any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

MrMBerman is offline Senior Member

Network card could be knackered. try to get your hands on a pci network card, disable the onboard network card in bios and recheck results.

Quote Originally Posted by marcEmarc View Post
    Network card could be knackered. try to get your hands on a pci network card, disable the onboard network card in bios and recheck results.
    Nice idea, but I use a USB ADSL Modem most of the time. The only time I used the network card was at my friends place. So I don't think that would contribute.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

get a virgin engineer out as you may need a modem upgrade and by the way for an extra 50p a month you can upgrade to 10mb. call virgin on 150 from your phone for free.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    get a virgin engineer out as you may need a modem upgrade and by the way for an extra 50p a month you can upgrade to 10mb. call virgin on 150 from your phone for free.
    The snag with that is that A) when I used my friends connection he is on a BT Business connection of 8mb and B) The max I can get for my line is 3.5mb, it's ADSL not cable and i'm on Vodaphone.

johnny.rotton is offline Gold Member

Sorry I was only going on the information you gave at the start of this thread.

Quote:: "The basics: i'm on Virgin ADSL with a max of 2mb connection. For well over 2 years now I have had a solid 1.8 download speed (checked thanks to the speedtest at thinkbroadband.com) on their Port 8095 test. Never had any problems."

If you are on Vodafone and you using a wireless dongle your speed is going to be low anyway as a t-mobile 2mg dongle will only clock 0.14mb on speed tests.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.rotton View Post
    Sorry I was only going on the information you gave at the start of this thread.

Quote:: "The basics: i'm on Virgin ADSL with a max of 2mb connection. For well over 2 years now I have had a solid 1.8 download speed (checked thanks to the speedtest at thinkbroadband.com) on their Port 8095 test. Never had any problems."

If you are on Vodafone and you using a wireless dongle your speed is going to be low anyway as a t-mobile 2mg dongle will only clock 0.14mb on speed tests.

JR
    Ah, no again, wrong end of the stick. It's not wireless or on a dongle. It's on my home telephone line. I'm too far from the bundled exchange to get anything better than 3.5mg, but I have a 2mb connection thru Virgin ADSL, which normally connected at 1.8mb according to thinkbroadband.com speedtest. I have a Thomson usb modem connected to my PC.

I have uninstalled my AVG anti-virus and firewall and performed the speedtest - result 0.1mb, then again with the Windows Firewall disabled - result 0.1mb!