DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Windows Update error 80072EFD, cannot update

Bubba is offline New Member

Default Windows Update error 80072EFD, cannot update

I have run across this error now 2 times. In the first instance the computer was run through with a fine toothed comb and all malware removed. In the second case we have not done the malware removal. For this post, I would like to deal with the first computer as the second guy is still working the steps the other I tried (unsuccessfully) on the first. The following has been done:

Scanned and cleaned of malware
    Tried the steps here.

Tried the steps here.

Tried this, and this,.

Reset the Windows firewall. Uninstalled and re-installed the Windows firewall. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any other suggestions we can try?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

The Windows Update error code 0x80072EFD; Error String ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT occurs when the attempt to connect to the server fails.

You appear to have tried quite a few troubleshooting steps, including the Fix It tool. Nevertheless, see if something at Cannot Update Windows using Windows Update and at Windows Vista Updates Fail To Install help you.

I stumbled across that first link last night, which is what brought me to your forums lol and the second link has a link that directs me to one I posted lol.

I have done everything in the first link except maybe enabling ssl2 in IE, I can't remember if I did that. It did however link me to here and I have a question about that article. The article is about updating the Windows Update Agent and verifying the version as well as the digital signature. Unfortunately I have physical access to neither computer that has the problem, but.......... on the first one I did download that cab file from the same place as is linked in the article. Since it was MS and the Updates and update site are owned by MS is it reasonable (or safe) to assume that the digital signatures are correct?

Also, when I googled the error number, other than unanswered posts on multiple forums, most of the remaining results pertained to Windows live messenger or Sever 2003. I am unfamiliar with Windows Live Messenger. Is it a "new and improved" version of that Microsoft Messenger Instant messaging program that years ago allowed a back door for hordes of unregulated popups to infest your computer? Whether it is or not, is it possible for IT to be somehow blocking the update site? It doesn't seem logical since, if that were the case, many more people would be experiencing this problem.

LOL if it seems I am grasping at straws it can only be because I am. I can't get this resolved and wiping the HDD and re-installing the OS seems like a harsh measure to take for a problem that HAS to have a solution, although given the hours I have spent on it, re-install would have been much faster, even if I had to enter the code line by line...........

One last thing (for this post lol): One possible solution I received, but have been unable to try yet, was to run a batch file called WUFix.Bat. Have you heard of it or run it?

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Have you tried this?

http://www.imzers.com/msn/solve/error-code-80072efd

Also, I have found that many Windows Update errors are solved by doing a hard reset in IE by going to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced Tab, Reset.

pyu.agrawal is offline Senior Member

If you are using a Vista with SP1 or SP2, and a licensed copy, you could get online support from Microsoft for free.
    Visit: Help & Support
    Select Individual Chat support.

My experience with the support has been fantastic

I got my friend on the phone (computer1). What we tried and the result is below. (I'm being so "analytical" in case we get this resolved and someone else on google finds this lol.)

From the this article on this site: Enabled SSL2 and SSL3 in IE. Did not fix the problem.

roraniel:I tried the reset option in IE. Did not fix the problem. Thank you for the link. I checked with owner of Computer 1 and she doesn't have WLM, but I followed the steps anyways and registered the DLL's lol. It did not fix the problem.

WUfix.bat (I mentioned it in an earlier post): We downloaded it, ran the batch file and rebooted. Windows suffered a fatal error and would not start. Had to choose restore option in the repair screen.

pyu.agrawal: I have not had very much success in the past with the (non) technical support crew of Micro Soft from Bangladesh. On my personal computer on what turned out to be the LAST of many unfruitful "help" calls, "Gary" (why do they always choose Robert or Gary as their "American" name?), after I let him have remote control of my computer because a MS game didn't install correctly, went through my registry like the wrath of God. Well he was cruising right along deleting stuff until I heard a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG pause.......... then he said he would elevate it to the next echelon who would get back to me (to unfix what he "fixed" I reckon), in 72 hours or less. It's been 14 months and I still am still standing by the phone waiting for the call......... No worries, I hit good old system restore (yeah, it wasn't my first call to the script readers at non-technical support so I set a restore point before the call) and put everything back to the way it was before my call and then noodled out how to fix it myself. Perhaps I just had 8 or 9 straight "anomalies" in calling the support desk while everyone else has had great success with them, but I decided at that point that it behooved me to learn the inner workings of Windows if I wanted any resolution to problems. I will however throw that option to both people. But........ since one computer is an Acer and the other a Compaq, will they not be told when they call MS to fork over $50 or call Acer and Compaq respectively? I myself have spent many an hour on the MS pages (technet, forums, help ect) researching this and have yet to see a single answer from a Microsoft Tech although the question has been posed many times.

Dang, I just re read your post and you say you have had great experiences with the chat support. Maybe it is different than the call in lines lol. Since I HAVEN'T tried it, I certainly will. I'll even do so with a glad heart and an open mind filled with hope and love for my fellow humans. (At this point I'd hire a Voodoo witch doctor to exercise the machines )

Anyway, thank you very much for the responses and if you think of anything else please let me know. I will definitely be around for a while reading all the cool stuff in the tips section. Lots of good info there like the article that HappyAndy linked me to.
    Last edited by Bubba; 13th June 2009 at 18:23.

leofelix is offline Member

Hi,
    try to clean your browser with CCleaner and then from start>run> type "cmd" (without brackets) then type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without brackets) now exit and reboot system.

You may also try to put DCHP service to manual (not automatic I mean)

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the reminder. With the first computer I did the CCleaner ipconfig thing and then later on noticed he hadn't upgraded to IE 8 so I installed IE 8. Neither step worked on that computer, but I forgot to do it with the guy I'm trying to help now. Because it didn't work on the first one doesn't mean it won't on the second one. I keep trying to find similarities in the two users, a AV, P2p, anything, but so far the only thing they have in common is this problem.

I haven't tried setting the DCHP to manual. I'll try that and let you know how it turns out. When I "talked" to the guy who suggested the WUfix.bat file about it crashing the system, he said to try it again as he has used it 100's of times and never had that happen. So tomorrow (maybe lol) I'll try to drive down to the one computer I can get physical access to and do the WUFix.bat thing myself. While I'm there I'll set the DCHP to manual and see what it does. Thanks for the suggestion.

leofelix is offline Member

@ Bubba: you're welcome
    I know someone who succeded by disabling DCHP service too (not in a LAN)
    Last edited by leofelix; 18th June 2009 at 02:53.