DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Help to disable windows defender & windows updates

PcMan is offline Beginner

Default Help to disable windows defender & windows updates

is it possible to disable windows defender and windows update without getting error messages.

leofelix is offline Member

I do not think so.
    You may disable Windows Defender real time protection anyway

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

1) Open Windows Defender > Tools > Options > Uncheck Use Real Time Protection check box and also Use Windows Defender under Administrative Options checkbox. Click on Save.

Also type services in start menu search bar and hit Enter to open Services. Change the startup type of the Windows Defender Service from Automatic to Disabled.

2) Open Control Panel > Windows Update > Settings > Never check for Updates.

3) Open Control Panel > Security Center > Change the way Security Center alerts me.

I however, advice you to keep your security settings on.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    1) Open Windows Defender > Tools > Options > Uncheck Use Real Time Protection check box and also Use Windows Defender under Administrative Options checkbox. Click on Save.

Also type services in start menu search bar and hit Enter to open Services. Change the startup type of the Windows Defender Service from Automatic to Disabled.

2) Open Control Panel > Windows Update > Settings > Never check for Updates.

3) Open Control Panel > Security Center > Change the way Security Center alerts me.

I however, advice you to keep your security settings on.

well i have Norton hopefully that will protect me. I just went to turn this stuff off cuz it keeps takeing up my hard drive space.

nitinagarwal1988 is offline Microsoft MVP

I don't suggest that it is good to stop the windows defender and automatic updates services. they are the important and necessary tools for security of system whether you are using any third party security tools or not......
    so, don't stop these services.....

seti is offline Member

While I agree that you should always keep automatic updates turned on. I personally have Windows defender turned off as I have KIS to protect, so as long as you have some other protection I think that it is safe to turn it off.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PcMan View Post
    I just went to turn this stuff off cuz it keeps taking up my hard drive space.
    Disabling them wont save you any disk space. A bit of resources ... yes. But OK, if you have and trust Norton to protect your PC, fine ... but keep Windows Updates 'on'.

Bubba is offline New Member

LOL I'm still trying to figure out how Defender and update are accused of "taking up hard drive space" when stacked up to that resource hog Norton. Talk about a program that fills every nook and cranny of RAM that it can to slow down a system..............

yeah thanks for the info i,ll just keep them on.